Saturday, May 31, 2008

Yello!

So, does anyone want a free book? I just finished "Serenity Bay", bought for 2 dollars from a bargain bin, and I am never going to read it again. I mean, it was well written and all, and I'm sure there are a lot of people who like it and connect with it, but I really did not relate.

It's the story of a woman who marries a man who turns out to be abusive, and only leaves him after he starts to hurt their kids. She then becomes independent and such, which I approve of, but then he kidnaps their kids and here come my issues.

1. She didn't leave him the first time he hit her. This doesn't make me angry at her so much as at our society.
2. When she didn't immediately find her kids, she tries to kill herself. Because, in her own words, she is nothing without her kids. I think motherhood is great and all, but no person, IMHO, should ever be defined by another.
3. She found salvation in the Lord. Don't have a problem with religion, or the power of belief to get you through situations, but when the entire last quarter of a book is about Jesus and His power to heal His people, well, it just ain't my cup o tea, folks. I get it that some people deal with crisis through finding the Lord, but it didn't need to be quite so heavy handed. You can live without Him too, y'know. And the preponderance of capitalization, which I have just demonstrated - is that the standard? Somehow it grates me. Wow this is making me sound like a jerk.

To clear it up, this book is fiction and she gets her kids back. So, anybody want it? Free book? No?

2 comments:

Redcard Sanchez said...

Hmm...while the prospect of a free book does sound appealing, I'm thinking I'd probably have the same or similar qualms about it that you do.
PS- glad you're blogging again. Does that make me sound desperate?

Kesineeee said...

hahahahahha