Thursday, July 10, 2008

Indomitable Wit.

A litte story:
So for almost the past week, I've been filling out gaps in an ENORMOUS file of all the core descriptions for the past several years. What this is, basically, is a list in excel sorted by facies and assay (that is, what each part of the core is made of and how much of that is oilsand). Because there is so much information, I have about, oh, 400 core samples to edit, and each of those takes up 30-60 lines. The gaps I am filling are the facies, because sometimes they're missing, and without those the actual information I need isn't present. After I fill in the facies I can use the averages thereof to fill in the rest of the information, which is probably going to take another week or so. Alright, exposition almost half over, hang in there. To fill in the missing facies, I need to call up an actual adobe picture of the core description, which is like a giant graph thing, go to the appropriate point, and switch back and forth between the adobe and xls. files filling stuff in. Relatively straightforward. Only I have crap memory, so I remember the intervals and facies by muttering them under my breath several times (I'm sure to the chagrin of my co-workers) before dashing over to the excel and filling them in. For example:

"76.45 - EFCW, 76.45 - EFCW, 76.45 - EFCW, *switch*, 76.45 - EFCW."

There is one facies, however, that makes me slighty happier whenever I see it, and that is the Black Swamp.

"65.05 is BS. 65.05 is BS!"

Makes me grin inside each time.

Also, by the way, Tuesday was my birthday.

1 comment:

Hermit said...

cackle!! That is great! Also I just realised earlier today that I am a horrible friend, forgetting yer birthday and whatnot. So sorry! This not having internets all the time rather throws me off. Anyways, no excuses but hopefully was happiness and such and all is well with your and yer BS workness.
Hermy