Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I'm sorry, were you talking to me?

So over the past few weeks I have, unintentionally and unconsciously, turned myself nocturnal. I was staying up late all through the holidays, and once the semester booted up that didn't change. I'd just started having naps when I got home. It's come to the point where if I get to bed before 4 in the morning it's a really good day, and my naps have stretched into 5 hour marathons.
Needless to say, I haven't been very productive AT ALL, and let me tell you, your brain actually needs sleep to, like, think. So tonight I hope to get to bed at the very latest midnight, and try to turn this crazy bus around.

The Daily 'Dote
The other day, as I waited for class seated on a bench - dozing with my head in my hands - I heard a voice:

"Have you ever done that?"

No response seemed to be forthcoming, so I lifted me head and looked around. The only person remotely near me was a middle aged women the exact proportion of a pear standing several metres away, and staring at the climbing wall in front of us. Assuming at this point she was talking to me but still doubting I'd heard what I'd heard, I mustered up the clever response of "Hmmmah?" When there was no reaction, I tried again with an actual word. "Pardon?"

"Have you ever done that?" She said again.

"Uuhhh, no."

"Me neither." And then she wandered off, and I went back to sleep.



Also, a question for you; is "whatever" the new "like"? I heard this the other day, with whatever retaining the delightful upwards questioning inflection that goes with like.
"I was in the cafeteria or whatever?, and getting a smoothie or whatever?, when I totally had an idea."
I am terrified by this possibility.

4 comments:

m said...

I love naps. But I would die if I turned nocturnal. SNAP OUT OF IT!!! Or whatever?

Redcard Sanchez said...

I've been getting way too much sleep these days, which doesn't make any sense. I thought I might have been turning nocturnal last year, but these days I physically can't stay up past midnight. It's like some switch suddenly went off in my brain saying "become old now".
Also, that 'dote is delightfully surreal. It's always so unusual when strangers ask you a question that isn't "what time is it?" or "do you know where _____ is?"
And on "or whatever"...I can't say I've heard it used in that sort of context, but I have heard it used (and used it myself) gratuitously to mean "etc.", or "I don't really know what I'm talking about" or "I don't want you to know that I really know what I'm talking about."
Also also: I would like to visit you some weekend. How does the week of Feb. 1st look for you?

Wulf said...

mindy: So far, operation: Diurnal has been going well.

Redcard: I don't see any problems there, as I'm pretty free for a while yet. It would be totally awesome if you could come.

Kesineeee said...

Euuugh I haven't heard the "whatever" being used that way yet. I dread the day when I will. Awwww I want to visit you SO BAD. BUT I have NO time off until summer. How lame? No breaks or anything. Also? Best dote ever! Hahaha so weird!!