Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A sheepish hi.

March? Really, March? I amaze myself sometimes.

So I'm not sure if I actually have anything worth blogging, or perhaps I am just out of practice and really there is a cornucopia of magical and amusing anecdotes to tell you and I just need to access them. I dunno.

As far back as my memory goes, that is to say lunchtime, nothing particularly wonderful has happened. Today.

I have finally devised a life plan though.

I know, right? Me, actually deciding for once what I want to do with my life? Redonk!

It is, of course, not the most practical of life plans, but I have never been the most practical of people, certainly in terms of goal setting/attaining. (See last post.)

The idea is to become an actor/writer, failing that just a writer, and while I wait for my fingers to crank out the next great Canadian novel, working in the publishing industry. I don't know yet in what capacity, but I expect I'll have a few gruelling years as an intern to figure that out.

And since writers write, I have actually made a go of this. I've been slowly plugging away at what I hope will turn out to be a full length novel. While I am doing this, I figure I'd take a page from Liam's book and write short stories to put on this blog. a), it'll give you people something to read, and b) it'll give my somewhere to channel energy and practice when I'm feeling blocked on my book.

A caveat -

I am ridiculously insecure about my writing. This is a major part of why I haven't written in the past, as this is perhaps the one realm of my life in which I am irritatingly perfectionist. My worries (concerning fiction, anyway) is that it will be singularly uninteresting and lacking any sort of engaging conflict. That being said, I'm not looking for reassurances, but rather critiques and criticisms and HONESTY from you guys. That may seem counter-intuitive on the surface, but I think it will help me grow as a writer. The opinions of people you trust can be a damn powerful motivating tool.

I've got a story on the drawing (writing?) board right now, expect it Thursday or Friday.

And now I bid you adieu. I must brush my teeth and kick a snoring dog off my bed.

3 comments:

Liam said...

I'm really glad to hear this life plan, Ali, and I'm behind you a hundred per cent! And if it helps at all, keep in mind that a book is made by many people, and that the most painful and the most helpful thing is to pass it through the crucible of peer edits. One thing I struggle with is even sharing my ideas with people, when a different pair of eyes is often exactly what I need. Anyway, you know this stuff. I just thought I'd participate. :P

Wulf said...

Yeah, it always sort of slips my mind that a first draft is just that. I'm always tempted to do my revisions as I go, which inevitably turns me into a giant stress ball.

I thank you for your support! I'm pretty excited about it, and getting people's opinions, and so forth.

Kesineeee said...

I am super excited about this plan and novel of yours!!!