Saturday, August 9, 2008

Dear America,

So yesterday night I watched the Beijing Olympic opening ceremonies, and it was one of the most genuinely beautiful things I've ever seen.

And then this morning, I find out that an American group is going to picket the funeral of that young man killed on the Greyhound. Why? Because they believe his murder was divine retribution against Canada's immoral laws. And PETA is using his death to their advantage too - "This is why killing animals is wrong."


Dear America,

You've really disappointed me. I've never been a fan of your foreign policy, the Bush government is an international embarrassment, and your electoral process is a joke.
But most of all, I cannot stand the ingrained, blatant hypocrisy that runs through everything you do. Don't get me wrong, all of your people that I've met have been lovely. My question, though, is what THE FUCK happened to the separation of church and state? I realise that your country was founded on the principle of religious freedom, but frankly, I ain't seeing it. In a time when doctors are refusing abortions and emergency contraception, when pharmacists are refusing birth control, when the singular argument against gay marriage is religion (neglecting the fact that all the rights of marriage come from the state, not from the church), this hypocrisy is dragging us back into the dark ages of human rights.
So what I would like you to do, America, is get some control over yourself, and your religious right. Stop letting them rule the way you present yourself in the world. I promise, it won't be the end of everything. And tell them to stay the hell away from that man's funeral.


Oh, and PETA? I don't mean to belittle your mission, but get a frickin' life.


- from a (very) concerned Canadian

1 comment:

Redcard Sanchez said...

Thank you for putting into words so eloquently the things many of us felt when we heard about those damn picketers.
I hadn't heard about that PETA thing before. My god. It's depressing when people become so blinded by their cause that they're willing to use every tragedy for their own benefit.