Monday, January 14, 2008

2nd Full Week of School/Spreading of Anger (Not Very Buddhist of Me, Sorry.)

I've been listening constantly to the Simon and Garfunkel compilation I got for Christmas. I relate to it really well. It's almost like there's a synergy (sorry, I hate that word too). But really, they manage to say everything I want to and convey all I feel, but better and to a tune.

As the title of this post says, I'm going into my second full week classes. Things are going... Not nearly as well as last semester. Only one of my acquaintances from last term is in a class with me. Also, in acting, my scene partner for our first scene can't act. She is only in the class because it's a requirement, not because she has any drama aspirations. And I do admit that mine are more wishful thinking than actually goals, but I'd like them to be goals someday. And this may sound egotistical, but I can act a lot better than her. And she exhibits one of my pet peeves: when reading aloud, she constantly messes up words. Not a little, a little is fine. Like one or two words a sentence are wrong, so her lines make no sense when she is reading them. She did get better as we went though, so hopefully she'll fix all her mistakes soon. I really don't want to correct her, as that would be basically telling her she can't read. Ugh. Maybe I'm being uncharitable, but I'm full of PMS right now, and I believe that excuses me almost anything. My character swears a bit, so I shall release my secret tension that way.

My other classes look pretty manageable. One of my anthropology classes (not the one with the professor I'm stalking) has 3 tests, and all of them are in-class essays, which are one of my least favourite methods of evaluation, so I'm slightly concerned about that, but I'll meet with her at some point and I'm sure that will help assuage my fears.

In my sociology class (Deviance, Conformity and Social Control) we watched a movie last class called Ballot Measure Nine, which was that story of a bill they tried to pass in Oregon in 1992. Basically it was an amendment to the constitution that would allow discrimination based on sexual orientation in areas such as employment and housing. The exact text of the amendment proposed was "All governments in Oregon may not use their monies or properties to promote, encourage or facilitate homosexuality, pedophilia, sadism, or masochism. All levels of government, including public education systems, must assist in setting a standard for Oregon's youth which recognizes that these behaviors are abnormal, wrong, unnatural and perverse and they are to be discouraged and avoided." (To be clear, I agree that pedophilia is unacceptable, as are sadism and masochism when taken beyond a boundary.) The "Yes on 9" group was run by the Oregon Citizens Alliance, and they used the most homophobic, manipulative hate tactics I have ever heard of to try and get this thing voted in. Their campaign slogan was "No Special Rights", which is simply evil genius, as what they were fighting against was equal rights. And they used discredited studies as evidence, like saying all homosexuals are also pedophiles, and all homosexuals engage in some sort of coprophilia. It made me sick.
I guess I just wanted to pass around some rage. I'm not going to get into the whole freedom of religion thing right now, nor am I going to discuss the issue of homosexuality in a class on deviance. Because that would take forever, and I think I've ranted enough for one post. Later, I'll rant. If people are interested. If they aren't, I shall write angry essays offline.

So I'm feeling a little disconnected, unmotivated, lonely and lackluster right now. I do hope It doesn't devolve any further, as I really don't want to repeat last year's pit of despair experience. My at-home, 100% organic remedy is blogging! This way, I can communicate with a world beyond my bedroom, and connect to my friends, and fend off isolation. I'll try to do it at least twice a week. As always, comments are lovely lovely crack.

I also may email you homies at one point, but first you need to email me at my hotmail with your preferred contact address, or I won't. I'm sorry, but I don't want to send mass emails to people who won't actually read them because they are rotting in a forgotten account.

No comments: