Wednesday, March 19, 2008

As I Went Down in the River to Pray

Alright, it is time for another of my introspective ramblings! Y'all excited?
This time, the subject is religion. Especially religious conversion and missionary work.

My question, or quandary, is people who believe that other people who do not share their religion are in need of saving. You know, those "come into the light, and ye will be saved from eternal suffering" types. In a strictly functional, objective way, I completely understand it - a religion ain't a religion unless there are a bunch of people who believe it, and the best way to get people to believe in something is promise them a better, more fulfilling life. I get it, religion and thus conversion fill a need. But what I truly don't comprehend is that some people really believe that if I'm not Christian, or whatever, my eternal soul (presuming I have one - not the point) is endangered.
What got me thinking about this subject was the following exchange, which I found in the comments of a YouTube video for the titled song.

wacko0500: I don't beleive [sic] in god, but i still love this song. :)

Enoch2: Lord Jesus Christ, please lead wacko0500 to Yourself. Show him your great love and power to save. Let Your will be done. Amen.

This Enoch2 person seems sincere to me, and in a later comment he cites some scripture to a similar effect.
I realise, of course, that all religions are different both between and within, depending on which denomination a person is and even the person him/herself, but I just don't get how someone can believe that simply because I do not share their ideas about the universe and the nature of being, that I am in grave danger. To be frank, it really kind of hurts my feelings. Am I any less worthy than someone else? Are my contributions that less valued? Just because I live my life following the way of peace and goodness and righteousness, but have different reasons for doing so, does that mean I do not deserve peace after I die? Just because I do not believe that Jesus was the son of god, just because I do not believe in a single creating entity? Just because I don't think that, even if there is a God (or Goddess), he/she has nothing better to do in His (or Her) realm of being than pay attention to who thinks he/she is real, and treat them accordingly?

I'm sorry, but if I believed in a God, it would be a God who didn't give a damn if I believed in it/him/her. I want to be judged by my actions, not what I believe to be true about the universe. And I don't want my actions judged by any scriptures, either. In the end, I, and the people I affect, are the ones who decide what the consequences are.

(I also believe that my actions will be judged through karma and samsara: the cycle of being in the universe, but not through any conscious, deliberate means, and that is separate from the issue at hand. Or at least I think so.)

Thoughts? Comments? Don't know what the flaming water stops on a biscuit I'm talking about?

2 comments:

Redcard Sanchez said...

I think some people really like to think that they're part of something. And I guess if you've been brought up sheltered and unquestioning, those ideas just keep on keeping on.

Kesineeee said...

I think everyone should believe, or not believe what they want, and then show everyone else some manners, and stop being pushy. People are entitled to whatever it is they believe is real or not, and the God I personally believe in doesn't give a flying piece of waterproof shit if one of my best friends believes in Him or not...it just...doesn't...GUH. You are fully as wonderful, and as meaningful, and as valuable as a human being, regardless of you not believing in God. There. I love you!