Thursday, December 7, 2006

Alrighty. It is three o'clock in the friggin' morning, and I have been lying in bed for over an hour. But my brain has decided it needs to have it's profound thoughts when I would much rather be sleeping. Thoughts like "if dirty means covered in dirt, then grubby is a very disturbing word." And now, this latest revelation apparently needs to be shared before I can get any sleep. Here it goes:

I am not happy. Generally, I am content. But I am not happy. this is because things annoy me. things like homophobia, and rape, and white supremacists. only when there is no more hate, no more rage, no more intolerance, fear, pain, or hunger, only when no-one is ever cold, or alone, or despairing, or sick, will i be happy. until there is just love, love, love and the world is full of it, can i be really and truly happy.

so guys, when you read this, i fully expect you to go "man, is alison sure sleep deprived and crazy." but i also expect you to go "but she is also right." people, and if, by some miracle, a stranger happens upon this, i mean you too, the next time someone is crying, talk to them. the next time someone needs a hand, carry their bags, or walk them across the street, or call a cab. pick up litter. buy fair trade coffee. volunteer. educate. Love with everything you've got, and i'll do the same.

you know that commercial, for the tv, with all the superballs? how they released 250 000 of them? well, i realized that that isn't even enough for everybody in san fransisco. at first, this depressed the heck outta me, but now, it gives me a whole lot of hope. if just one in four people picked up a bouncy ball in san fran, they'd be gone in no time. so if one in four people in the world chooses to make a difference, one in ten, one in a hundred, we'd still be gettin somewhere. somewhere better.

thanks fer listenin'. or readin'. whichever.

7 comments:

Hermit said...

Hooray, first off, I must say that your brain is spiff when it is tired or whatever. My brain would never come up with the correlation between dirt and covered in grubs but anyhow.
Yes, I agree, tis unfortunate to realise how ginormous our world is but yes, even small things do make a difference, even a wee one. So yes, bring on the water conserving toilets! (haha, now THAT was random!)
Okay, off to work on assignment
Hermit

Kesineeee said...

Wow, you ARE right Ali. Sometimes it is hard to see the whole picture when all the self-centered ideals swim around all our heads, but it is exactly the opposite of those "ideals" we need to be focusing on. We need to loosen up on our own, and help those who need us. We are able, we just need to be willing. This, above all things, as with you, is why I think the world would just be better off without humans in the long run!

Redcard Sanchez said...

I think it sucks that it's considered unusual for someone to make those little differences in someone's life. From comforting a crying stranger or giving your mittens to a homeless person, to breaking up a brawl or saving a drowning baby--these are all considered noble and rare, when they should be natural reactions to the situations. Our polite looking-away and fear of contact are getting in the way of our ability to care. When I hugged a stranger on the bus, I was disappointed by how hard it was to talk to him in the first place. My ingrained etiquette made it seem awkward and improper. I guess that's what comes of being a British descendant. I hate my ancestors.

Joelle Haney said...

Aw...that was a very true posting. I wish the world could just friggin learn to LOVE! Oh, and grubby. That's the answer. Geeeeeez, I woulda thought you of all people would be smart enough to figure that out. Oh...wait...I get it. You asked cause you already knew the answer, and you wanted to share the funny correlation between dirt and grubby with us without making it obvious, therefore less funny. What's really funny is that I already knew that you already knew the answer, but I decided to be obnoxious anyway. LOVE!!!

Wulf said...

OKay there jo. not sure what you were tryin' to say. which is sad, cause i should. does anyone else get it? mwaha.
in other news, i heard the worst version of the little drummer boy ever. imagine britney spears + the chipmunks. augh.
i think my contest will be transformed into a "for the good of the planet" type contest. (even though my post was very dramatic and cheesy, i still agree with it. cause i thought it up and stuff.) i shall release the new rules after i announce the draw winners, and, of course, after i make them up.

Paula R said...

LETS GET A MILLION SUPERBALLS AND FLOW THEM THROUGH CALGARY. THEN EVERYONE WOULD BE HAPPY, BECAUSE THERE IS NOTHING HAPPIER THAN A SUPERBALL.
OR MAYBE GOING TO BANFF OR SOMEWHERE SMALLER WOULD BE LESS EXPENSIVE.
ANYWAYS, YOU ARE VERY SMART. I THINK IF EVERYONE MADE SLIGHTLY MORE OF AN EFFORT THE WORLD WOULD BE FAR BETTER.

Kylian said...

Ya know... I was in a wierd mood today and not particularily in any mood to help anyone... but I went to wal mart and as i walked in, this lady was bent over to fix the door mat.. not an employee, she was just walking in like me. Now as simple as this was it put me in a better mood... I mean, this lady could have walked right on the folded doormat just like hundreds of others had before her, but she chose to bend down and pick up the extreemly muddy mat and set it flat.

As I was walking through, this old man was trying to put something on top of a shelf and I ran over to him and took it from him and put it up for him. The look he gave me for something so simple was remarkable, it was almost like his faith in humanity was almost replenished by an act so simple as a helping hand. Waling out I also put what money I had left into a bascket a lady was holding for "give a kid a coat" foundation.

You know what, I may be broke but I for one feel alot better today. I for one, will always look for an opertunity from now on, to go out of my way to help someone out.

Kylian